Saturday 23 April 2011

Riot under the watchful eye

So there I was on my way home with my brother in bristol when we see around 30 police riot vans speed past us in broadmead. I checked twitter and found out that there was currently a protest going on outside a new tesco express store in Stokes croft, right next to my favourite banksy piece, 'the Mild Mild west'.

The community has been opposed to the opening of this new store with some 95% of people in the area opposed to it's opening. The reason? Stokes Croft high street is widely considered to be the last true independent high street in the UK. It is also a hub of culture, with almost every building covered in street art, gig venues and homely bars and pubs. It has always had a bad reputation due to 'undesirables' such as squatters, homeless people and drug trade in the area. I have however always found it to be a very welcoming place, full of independent artists, musicians and great nights out!

We decided to investigate and so walked up towards the area.

It was apparent immediately that this was more than a protest. Police vans lined the streets and there were bins and trash on fire. The police helicopter circled above as lines of Police advised people to stay away. I got some images but unfortunately I only had my phone on me, so the quality isn't great.






This riot reminds me of the riots which famously gave the area its bad name. The St Paul's Riots of 1980 happened when racial tension between the Minority community and the local police force escalated.

It is my belief that the community are right to be angry. Why should a company such as Tesco feel free to impose themselves where the residents do not want them? There are two other Tesco stores already in the nearby area and a sainsburys just up the road. Whatever the outcome the group who call themselves 'The People's Republic of Stokes Croft' are not to be messed with!




So why did I make this post? I feel it is important to understand a community where street art is so significant and is welcomed. 

I also have a sneaking suspicion that Banksy may create something related to this. He has been outspoken in his views on Tesco before.

I will be interested to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment