Friday 4 March 2011

A new project

This is the first time I have kept a blog and so am quite keen to see how it works.

The project I have been set requires me to study the works of a chosen artist and create a piece or pieces of work in the style of them using a quote from a video game as inspiration for the work.

The first quote that stuck in my mind from the selection we have been is this one.

"Don't shoot, I'm with the science team!" - Half Life

I have an interest in science and I particularly like the game the quote comes from so feel that this is the best choice for me.

I am torn between which artist to choose.

I have grown up with the works of Banksy. Living in Bristol I regularly see his works around and last year visited the Banksy exhibition at Bristol Museum. I am also interested in his works as my interest in political events has become apparent  following recent political events such as the protests against the rise in tuition fees and the public spending cuts. These issues have all affected me and the people around me and so if possible I would like to try to fit in some of that into my project. From an art point of view, I am also motivated to get to know how he creates his works and also explore the 'copycat' movement that has come with his rise to fame. When does graffiti become art, why is his work more valued than other perhaps more talented artists?

The other artist I am interested to look at is Sherrie Levine. I have an interest in photography and some of the works I have briefly looked into seem to be of interest to me. Not knowing anything about the artist may be a hindrance to the project however and I would like to conduct more research into her work before I make a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment